Friday, March 2, 2012

Customer Appreciation Day 03/02/2012

It's Spanish Friday: http://latinaish.com/2012/03/02/el-guino-the-wink/ The English translation and a brief explanation are below.


"Quiero Frances!!!" Es una mujer, de 70 años. Gritando en frente me puerto.
"Quanto??" y yo, gritando tambien.
"Una corta!! Y Una corta de cafe!! Me gusta tomar cafe con pan!!"
"Vaya!! Que mas Niña?"
"Nada mas viejita!!" Ahora ella esta riendo y gritando. Jugamos este juego todo los días. Hay días en que soy un vieja, ultra días que soy flacita o chelita. Pero ella siempre es una niña.





"I want French bread!!!" It is a 70 year old woman. Yelling in front of my door.
"How much??" I am yelling too.
"One quarter!! And a quarter of coffee!! I like to drink coffee with bread!!"
"O.K.!! What else girl?"
"Nothing else old lady!!" Now she is laughing and yelling. We play this game every day. Some days I am an old lady, other days I am skinny or whitey. But she is always a girl.

For those of you who don't know, I should explain that the word niña is used as a form of respect here towards adult woman. ie: Someone calling me Niña Jenny is expressing respect for my position in the community. I have the utmost respect for this 70 year old woman who has lived a hard, long life and is still laughing and making jokes. I only wish she would let me take her picture.

5 comments:

Tracy said...

This is hilarious. I love hearing about your customers and I love the terms of endearment and respect in El Salvador.

Lisa n Javi said...

How funny. This reminds me of Javi's dad. Every morning his friend comes in the store and they argue about pretty much anything for about two hours. I thought it was funny and cute at first but every morning at 7 gets kind of old. LOL.

Tara said...

That sounds like a cool relationship you have with that customer.

Isolated Existence. said...

Ay, que linda! I can imagine her yelling, lol. People like that brighten your day without them knowing it. Reminds me when I used to live in Puerto Rico.

I didn't have time to do my Spanish Friday. Might do it today though...

Have a great weekend!

Jackie said...

How funny! I wish she would let you take her photo so we could see what she looked like. :)